Sæwulf

Incipit certa relatio de situ Ierusalem, 1102-1103

Sæwulf, an Anglo-Saxon pilgrim who visited the Holy Places shortly after the Christian conquest, has left us a detailed description of the appearance of the Holy Sepulchre complex after its restoration by Monamachus, and before the Crusader transformation that joined together all of the separate structures into a single church.

Description of the Triportico, altars and venerated relics

In the court of the church of our Lord's sepulchre are seen some very holy places, namely, the prison in which our Lord Jesus Christ was confined after he was betrayed, according to the testimony of the Assyrians; then, a little above, appears the place where the holy cross and the other crosses were found, where afterwards a large church was built in honour of queen Helena, but which, has since been utterly destroyed by the Pagans; and below, not far from the prison, stands the marble column to which our Lord Jesus Christ was bound in the common hall, and scourged with most cruel stripes. Near this is the spot where our Lord was stripped of his garments by the soldiers; and next, the place where he was clad in a purple vest by the soldiers, and crowned with the crown of thorns, and they cast lots for his garments. 
Next we ascend Mount Calvary, where the patriarch Abraham raised an altar, and prepared, by God's command, to sacrifice his own son; there afterwards the Son of God, whom he prefigured, was offered up as a sacrifice to God the Father for the redemption of the world...
Below is the place called Golgotha, where Adam is said to have been raised to life by the blood of our Lord which fell upon him...
At the head of the church of the Holy Sepulchre, in the wall outside, not far from the place of Calvary, is the place called Compas, which our Lord Jesus Christ himself signified and measured with his own hand as the middle of the world...
These most holy places of prayer are contained in the court of our Lord's Sepulchre, on the east side.” 





Thomas Wright, “The Travels of Sæwulf” in Early Travels in Palestine.